Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Canungra, Beechmount, Binna Burra; 4 Hours of hills.

We kick started my riding training with a mountain session. I didn’t know if I was ready, but I was damn excited with the idea, let alone being able to tell everyone I rode mountains for 4 hours.

Early Wednesday morning Bryce, Dean and I packed into a car and made our way out to Canungra for our training ride, the beginning of the mountains. I wouldn’t exactly call Canungra a mountain, for anyone who has been there you will know it really only lasts for a couple of minutes. Its only once you have passed Canungra and moved onto Beechmount you get to do some serious hill work. This was my first taste of hills, all my riding until this point had been flat road work and nothing over 30km at a time, so only 1 hour tops in the saddle.

As a warm up we did 6 Canungra hill rides. When I say we, I should mention we did it individually. We started together but I soon realised how much different it is riding up hills, and how without any conditioning you don’t stand a chance against an experienced rider. For the first time I felt real speed. Nothing amazing like you see on the tour but I clocked out at around 65kph on the descents, and actually started to feel more confident. The odd bump still threw me off a little, I always had mental pictures of my front wheel just unclipping and mashing half my face into the pavement, but that didn’t stop me.

After the final hill run, a fuelling stop at the bakery, we began what would be a 4 hour standing hill climb for me. Beechmount was the real testing ground for me. Canungra as I said only lasted a few minutes but Beechmount seemed to just go on and on. Bryce and I started together and I slowly watched him disappear up the mountain until I couldn’t see him, even on the straight sections of road. Dean sat behind me patiently in case I popped and couldn’t continue or a car came around too quickly to see me.

I quickly discovered my natural riding technique for hills. Standing up. A lot of riders I have been with sit down during the hard section to rest the legs, but for some reason it takes more out of me sitting down. I am far more comfortable standing up and feel I get a lot more power and drive doing so. A lot of riders have complained to me their legs get too sore from standing, but I guess after 30mins of it, your legs are sore from the moutain anyway so you cant really figure out if its from the climb or standing.

Halfway up I had to stop very quickly to remove my arm warmers and undershirt. It was very cold when we started, but by the time I was halfway up I was drenched with sweat. Dean shot past me slow enough for me to throw my gear into the window as he continued to check on Bryce’s progress. Not before asking if I wanted a lift to Bryce, was I ok? He should have known better.

So for the next 45minutes or so I slowly charged up the hill, driving my legs over continuously never missing a beat. It was nothing like I had ever experienced before. My legs were sore but I didn’t notice, it was just the setting and the scenery. It was so peaceful, I felt at ease on the bike, and although I was working very hard I was comfortable. It was still very early, the sun was just up, all the wildlife was starting to stir and make that calming rainforest type noise. If training was like this everyday, I wouldn’t care how long I had to climb these mountains.

Bryce ending beating me up the mountain by around 5 or so minutes. Along with Dean they both waited for me up to top and on the side of the road we had a little snack break to refuel for the next portion of the ride. Binna Burra is a lot shorter than Beechmount apparently however much steeper for the last portion of the climb.

To get to Binna Burra we rode along what was essentially the top of a ridge. There was a bit of a wind gushing every now and then, but other than that we maintained a nice 30kph+ speed with great views into the valley. I was doing my very best to draft off Bryce and learn to feel confident that close to someone’s wheel. I was able to stay there pretty much for the entirety of the flat areas but as soon as we got into any rolling hills just the little incline was enough for me to lose him. I learnt very quickly I maintain my speed a lot better going up a hill if I carry a big gear for one or to cycles before popping it down to the small ring. Once I learnt this I was able to catch a few lengths back on Bryce before slowing for the hill.

Once we got to Binna Burra it was the same story as Beechmount. Bryce took off, Dean sat behind me. I attacked Binna Burra with a completely different mindset to Beechmount. Beechmount it was all about the unknown, simply finishing and learning what mountain climbing was about. Binna Burra was now about pushing myself and learning how hard I can go before I pop. I wanted to die before the top and have to struggle the rest of the way. Unfortunately it never happened. Binna Burra was great compared to Beechmount, and for someone who is scared of heights rather frightening. Some of the corners open up to a clear view of the sheer drop into the valley due to there being no tree coverage for some reason. I made sure to stay as close to the cliff side as possible.

The ride back to Canungra felt short and fast due to all the descents. I reached 70kph at my maximum and learnt to corner a lot better and look ahead to read the road. It was a great learning experience for breaking during speed work, as little as possible. At one point when I was going down a straight section I hit a whole which almost sent me flying. Luckily I managed to keep control.

For my first long ride and mountain ride Canungra, Beechmount and Binna Burra was amazing. 4hours, standing up, pushing through the stiffness and sore legs, cant think of anything better to do on a Wednesday morning. It’s so peaceful, you have a far greater opportunity to learn about your bike, and the way you control it. A lot more time to test out your pain thresholds and mental toughness. If I could do all my training, I would do it in the mountains.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP